Sunday, April 23, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 16


Happy Sunday Summer grilling FUN DAY - Let's get marinating!

Make Your Own Pesto (Dip, Marinade and Sauce)
Mint pesto is pictured above

3 cups fresh organic herb of choice: basil, mint or cilantro (discard mint & basil stalks)
1 cup fresh organic parsley (bottom of stems removed)
1 handful of pine nuts (if allergic to tree nuts, sub in sunflower seeds!)
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
3-4 garlic cloves
1.5 small lemons (zest + juice)
2/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Except for the oil, combine all ingredients into a food processor and gently pulse in the olive oil until the desired texture is reached. (Be careful not to over process). You can also hand chop the ingredients (or check out this mortar and pestle recipe here). Taste and season more to your liking! 

You can marinate or spread this pesto on so many lovely things: Vegetables, shrimp, scallops, salmon, white fish, lamb, burgers, steaks.... Gosh... ANYTHING you can dream up.


Case in point: I made this simple two egg omelette stuffed with mixed greens, cucumbers and leftover mint pesto from Easter! So good!


Can't wait to make MORE fresh pesto for our home plates! It's Grand slamming!
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. Warning: C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin.
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad).
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
*Note: The first underlined/linked recipe name corresponds to one of two chefs:
1. Jamie Oliver online recipe or to his Ultimate Recipes App (J)
2. Sarah Britton - My New Roots Blog or Naturally Nourished or RecipeApp (S)
Both of their apps help me to stay organized (their grocery list features are rad); However, IF I am unable to find a recipe/cooking technique online, I have linked to a similar recipe for those not using the apps. Here is a handy conversion link for any of J's online euro measurements (*Both apps use USA measurements).

  • Taco Tuesday (making twice the meat & vege and saving some to "roll over" into the sloppy's joe's for easy dinner making.)


*"Why We Need To Be Weirdos To Be Healthy" (My goal: 80% weird. Daily reality = 20-100%)



*The EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen produce guidelines helps you save money + reduce the pesticides and herbicides (Antibiotics harmful to our gut microbiome + mycobiome) at home. 

*Avoid artificial colors and preservatives to keep your gut-brain happy + healthy





Wrap it UP with last week's family table action:


I am an athlete - So I cook like one! 

I keep a bat behind my stove (and a yellow ball up on my shelf) - It reminds me what practice has always given me... It's getting easier to cook, and I'm getting better at it.  

Just like the sports I still love to play.

 


Cleaning and reading floor to table. We didn't mind cleaning up Tuesday at all. 


Day 1 of my adventures in chick pea (garbanzo bean) sprouting! Click here for Sarah's crazy easy method (don't be scared!).

First off, I started with way.too.many dried garbanzo beans.


Day 2 - 1st rinse under cheese cloth. See, they expanded so much that I had to use two jars.



Day 3: Houston, we've got sproutage!!!!!



Day 4: Ready to GO! 


What do Sprouted Chickpeas taste like? I video'd my first taste on Instagram here (in case you can't see the above video on your handheld). 




It looks like couscous to your right... but it really that raw, peeled celariac again, pulsed in a food processor and seasoned like the recipe. It was a PERFECT compliment to the fish and vege. The leftovers will get turned into an easy gumbo tonight!




This fish tray bake is a keeper! My parents brought over the salmon and shrimp to add in. I am the luckiest girl in the world to live next door to my Mom + Dad and cook for them like they cooked for me.  Everything happens at the family table... Good, bad, tempers, joy and all the in between. Conversations of all sorts, hard, easy, funny.. you name it. It's the same cycle as it was when I was a kid... imperfect, different every night. We are now taking turns and picking a Pandora station to play with dinner. Mac chose Jazz piano (oh MAN is it good for dinner time!). Tommy pics the next time. It's our new family table music game. You gotta try it...


See you next week loves!

We're off to Great America today!

To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL

1 comment:

  1. love the video and the round robin of music channel choice, great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think....