Have a Berry Happy 4th of July!! This recipe is Abbie approved which means I just hit a GRAND FREAKIN SLAM in the kitchen today!
Raspberry + Blueberry Coconut Crumble with Wild Orange (gluten free)
Made with Prairie Wind Family Farm CSA Summer fruit share from Mick Klug Farm
2 (1/2 pint containers) organic raspberries
2 (1 pint containers) organic blueberries
1/3 c coconut sugar
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 drops wild orange essential oil
GF Streusel Topping
1/2 c gf flour blend (I used Pamela's GF Baking and Pancake Mix)
1/2 c coconut sugar
1/4 c gf rolled oats
1 tsp ground cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 stick (1/4 c) cold organic grass fed butter or cold coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
Optional: While still warm, garnish with dark chocolate mini chips and Leider's local pee pollen (found at the Libertyville Farmer's Market) + Full Fat Organic Vanilla Bean Ice cream.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, gently mix up berries, sugar, arrowroot, freshly squeezed lemon juice, sea salt and wild orange essential oil until well combined. Pour into square baking pan or pie plate. Use a rubber spatula to get all juices into the berry mixture. In another mixing bowl, add the dry streusel ingredients. With a pastry cutter or fork (precut the butter into small chunks), cut in the cold butter or coconut oil into the dry mix until you get a uniform, small bread crumb-like consistency. Pour the streusel topping onto the berries and bake for 30 minutes. The fruit should be bubbling up on the sides. Garnish with chocolate chips and bee pollen for a festive presentation and extra flavor pop! Abbie says, "The more vanilla ice cream, the better!"
- Each #SettheTable2018 post features a delicious family table recipe(s) to inspire your meal planning for the week.
- #CatchmyGrit on Instagram to follow the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad) leading up to each weekend post. C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics, videos and Instastories to keep truckin!
- New to this series? Revisit my favorite #SettheTable2017 recipe links here. Cheers to another year of sharing my crazy food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer!
Enjoy my recipe play by play!
Keep practicing in the kitchen - It all starts at hOMe plate!
To the Mullies we go...
My Top 11 #SettheTable2018 Topics:
- A Scientist Explores the Mysteries of the Gut Brain Connection
- Will the Gut-Brain Connection Revolutionize Wellness?
- Come to the table - Join Slow Food USA!
- Stay on top of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Campaign.
- Robyn O'Brien: Why Our Food Is Making Us Sick.
- Kimbal Musk Wants to Reengineer the American Stomach | Why Food is the New Internet.
- What is Organic Pasture Raised Chicken Good for?
- Shop with EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen" produce guidelines. Why? New research suggests pesticides/herbicides are linked to antibiotic resistance. Protect your gut microbiome + mycobiome.
- Avoid artificial colors and preservatives to keep your "second brain" happy + healthy.
- Why, When and How to Eat Wheat.
- Why do Some People do well as Vegans and Vegetarians (Clues from the Magical World of Genetics).