Sunday, January 8, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 1


Happy HAPPY Happy New Year! 

turn your magic on

Umi she'd say 
everything you want's a dream away 
and we are legends every day
that's what she told me
turn your magic on
to me she'd say
under this pressure
under this weight 
we are legends everyday 
under this pressure
under this weight
we are diamonds taking shape
only I own me
oh you make me feel 
like I'm alive again
if we've only got this life
this adventure oh than I
want to share it with you
Adventure of a Lifetime - Coldplay

Here we go into our 2017 adventure <<-->> Athletic perseverance in + out


Turn up the music, it helps to take my mind off my burning buns.

I'm thrilled to be social media contributer and blogger this year for Pure Barre Kildeer, one of my very favorite place to stay in shape. As we resolve to "Set the Barre" together every week, I'll be posting with PBKD to help us "Set the Table."

Spandex or apron?
I wear one of them most days.
Sometimes both at one time.
Sometimes not at all...
When I take a day off.
It's not about perfection.
The very best adventures go up and down.

I'll be sending out the following every Sunday morning:
  • An inspiration recipe for a meal + snack on Pure Barre Kildeer's Instagram + Facebook
  • A weekly "Set the Table" meal plan (3-4 meals) here on the mullies. I'm kicking it off by using my Jamie Oliver Ultimate Recipes App ($6.99 - iPhone or iPad) to help me get organized. 
I don't know about you, but my work and family schedule has me doing cartwheels (Hellers, did they make the "BadMom" movie just for me?!?) I've chosen to utilize Jamie's recipe app more seriously this year and coordinate recipes so that it makes it easier to shopcook and use leftovers throughout the week. Here's why:

  • I love his recipes (There's over 600 recipes included + Lots for Vegan and Vegetarians too). 
  • It generates an amazing shopping list (which allows me to add other random items...). 
  • It's super easy to navigate.
  • There are sweet tips and video tutorials on how to prep + cook more efficiently. 
  • I'm into good, clean nutrition.

Join me on my Instagram page for additional stories, videos, and pics to #CatchMyGrit and groove along in our #SetTheTable2017 adventures. 

Will I be able to cook all the recipes planned each week?
Who knows.
Will I get tired?
Probably.

And I will begin again every week.
And I hope you do too.

I intend to
Link to other authors/recipes. 
Share my own recipes. 
Tweak and make it better.
Repeat favorite meals & plans. 

*Note: Each recipe is linked for easy online access (whether or not you are using the app). 
The listed recipe name corresponds to the app title for easy searching; However, the actual link may be different if I was unable to find Jamie's recipe app online.  

UP This Week:

  • Make crispy quinoa instead of rice. Save 1.5 cups of quinoa for the blueberry bars (recipe listed below).
  • Can't find Cardamom pods? I couldn't either. I found whole seeds though. 10 pods = 1.5 tsp of ground cardamom (thanks google).
  • I improvised on the pomegranate - No luck at the grocery store so I thawed out some berry mixture (that I use for smoothies) instead. 
  • Store all leftover chicken and chicken bones. Need to cheat this week? Buy a rotisserie chicken and don't worry about it. 
  • Add in a side of green beans (Here's Ina Garten's awesome recipe).
Taco Tuesday - Get-Stuck-In Chili Nachos (This link sends you to Jamie's nachos 4 ways!)
  • Give my family table the option of nachos or tacos (This recipe is super similar to the one I make almost every week).
  • Add in a simple green salad.
  • Dice up any leftover chicken and add to the taco mixture.
  • Taco Tuesday will be here every week until further notice. My kids really look forward to this day and it's so fun to have weekly themes!
White Bean, Bacon and Tomato Soup (This recipe is app only. I have linked you to something similar.)
  • Use the leftover carcass to make a stock. You can also pop this in a slow cooker and it will be ready when you get home!
  • Add in a side of Christina's Roasted Broccoli (The recipe is in there... I promise.)
  • Make some garlic bread or grilled cheese for dipping! It's a "bridge" food to get my kids to eat soup!
  • I puree my soup completely (My eaters do not do "chunks" yet). And add extra sea salt to taste!!! Super important!!!
  • Make sure to garnish with extra bacon and we also have cubed avocado on the side.
Salmon Fish Fingers with Pea Mash

  • I used a package of "everything bagels" in place of the ciabatta bread and it worked like a charm! I toasted them up open face in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes (let cool before processing into bread crumbs).

*Here is a handy conversion link for the online euro measurements (the app uses US measurements).
*Buy Antibiotic free, organic, grass fed meat if possible (Here's why).
*Use the "Clean fifteen + Dirty Dozen" produce guidelines to save money and reduce pesticides and herbicides.

Lindsey’s Blueberry Protein Bars
Great for on the go snacks or breakfast!





1.5 c leftover cooked quinoa
1/2 c quick cooking steel cut oats
3/4 c flour (gluten free blend - or - have you ever tried sprouted flour?)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 c ground chia seeds (white or black)
2/3 c raw chopped or slivered almonds 
1/3 c avocado oil
1/2 c honey
1 tsp sea salt (Optional: cut to 1/2 tsp and sprinkle sea salt on the top!)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 c frozen blueberries
1/2 c mini dark chocolate chips (Options: Mix in, omit or melt and dribble over the top once bars have cooled!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients up in a large bowl. Place in a shallow casserole dish, a small cookie sheet, muffin cups or a granola bar pan. Cook 25-30 min or until middle of mixture springs back/is muffin firm to touch. Let cool and cut into rectangles or squares. Keep in the refrigerator. *The pictures have no chocolate inside. Thanks Mom for suggesting I add them in!



To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL

ps 

pps 
Music to stay motivated in the gym + in the kitchen: No Rights, No Wrongs 

ppps
Hate grocery shopping, hate meal planning but want to cook from scratch more often?
Check out Hello Fresh or Blue Apron!

1 comment:

  1. hoo-ray!!!! congrats miss PBK contributor and blogger!!!!!! 2017!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think....