Sunday, April 9, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 14


Welcome back + Happy Sunday Fun Day! It's gorgeous out and all I can think about is that Summer is almost here!

That looks like couscous doesn't it? NOPE. This puppy is made from a raw celariac. That's right - That weirdo, alien, dirty looking root of the celery plant. 


Weird.

So far, I've only used it in soups. And only a handful of times. And you're gonna fall in love with it just like me. Slice off the skin (link here for instructions), chop it up, and pulse it in a food processor. Sarah, it's sheer genius. Similar to ricing up raw cauliflower and I like this just as much... maybe even better!?!?

I am hooked and so excited to share my first recipe attempt at it today - I can't wait to try this in different couscous recipes! Below, find the link to the google book page so you can bookmark it into your kitchen. 

Copycat Couscous - Sarah Britton - Naturally Nourished Cookbook (The link takes you to table of contents and then to the recipe page.)

I added kalamata olives and capers to the mix. I also swapped in valencia oranges cuz I had them on hand. 

It's lift, toning, burning, kicking AWESOME.


  • Each Sunday #SettheTable2017 begins with the upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture recap of last week's chaos. Warning: C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin.
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad).
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
*Note: The first underlined/linked recipe name corresponds to one of two chefs:
1. Jamie Oliver online recipe or to his Ultimate Recipes App (J)
2. Sarah Britton - My New Roots Blog or Naturally Nourished or RecipeApp (S)
Both of their apps help me to stay organized (their grocery list features are rad); However, IF I am unable to find a recipe/cooking technique online, I have linked to a similar recipe for those not using the apps. Here is a handy conversion link for any of J's online euro measurements (*Both apps use USA measurements).




(Feel like you're seeing double? Well, I didn't make any of this last week. So, I'm giving myself another week to give it a go). 

*"Why We Need To Be Weirdos To Be Healthy" (My goal: 80% weird. Daily reality = 20-100%)
*How to Cook With Oils.
*Buy Antibiotic Free and Know the Source of Your Family's Meat.
*The EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen produce guidelines helps you save money + reduce the pesticides and herbicides (Antibiotics harmful to our gut microbiome + mycobiome) at home. 
*Avoid artificial colors and preservatives to keep your gut-brain happy + healthy.
*Why, When and How to Eat Wheat. 
*50 Years Ago, the Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists to Point Blame at Fat.


Wrap it UP with last week's family table action:



I did not hit my "set the table" bullseye this week. I cooked dinner twice, with only one dish from the meal plan, which was the Copycat Couscous.


Chris and I brought home food three nights... and then we went to a fundraiser at our local pizza joint on another night. It was a great, albeit unplanned take out week. Gawd I love take out.




My girfriend Krissy and her family came over last night after we went out on the Diamond for the first time this Spring (Stand Up Paddling is back!). The boys grilled out and I was super slow getting the other dishes together... So we got cozy at the table while the boys watched the Masters and the kids played. It was all so so good. 

Fresh pineapple
Green beans (steamed) with drizzled melted butter, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice + zest.
Fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella, balsamic and olive oil
copycat couscous
Hilary Eats veggie burger 

Today, I woke up, reshot the Copycat Couscous in my sunlit kitchen, made waffles and I burned two pans of 3-ingredient breakfast cookies. Oh well. They aren't too bad, but unfortunately too chewy/hard for Abbie's braces. 



Note to self: Set a timer.

Burnt cookies aside, I hope to inspire you to jump out of your comfort zone, rice up a celariac and get a new recipe/technique under your belt! I topped some leftovers on my waffle this morning... 



It was THE BALLS.

To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL



SUP baby!!!

1 comment:

  1. if i didn't set a timer, everything would burn!!!! yikes! so easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think....