Sunday, March 5, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 9


Welcome back + Happy Sunday Fun Day!
  • Each Sunday #SettheTable2017 begins with the upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture recap of last week's chaos. Warning: Selfie videos and picture shenanigans keep me cooking and laughing... C'est la vie, I'm lighting it up.
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram stories throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad).
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
Up this Week:
*Note: The first underlined/linked recipe name corresponds to the Jamie Oliver Ultimate Recipes App to help me stay organized (his grocery list feature is rad); However, IF I was unable to find Jamie's app recipe online, I have linked to a similar recipe.


  • Rich & Creamy Fish TrayBake (Benched last week. Adding catfish & shrimp; subtracting mussels, clams and flounder. I may smash it with Keralan's Fish Curry TrayBake - easy on the curry.) 
  • Get Stuck in Chili Nachos - (Beef Tacos) (Taco Tuesday was benched last week.)






A Sunny Side-Up Super Food Salad 

Red Romain Lettuce
Watercress
Sprouts
Cilantro (rough chopped)
1 diced onion + 2 minced garlic cloves sauteed on low until translucent (about 15 min)
Raspberries
Blueberries
1-3 eggs sunny side up (I was hungry!! When the onions were done, I cooked them in the same pan.)
Sea Salt & Pepper

Layer all ingredients however which way you want! I got half way through eating it and realized I didn't even think about a dressing. I would have used fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of extra virgin olive oil but it was just too good naked and I didn't want to get up off my chair.

*Here is a handy conversion link for any online euro measurements (the app uses USA measurements).
*Read up on how to cook with oils.
*If possible, buy antibiotic free meat (Here's why I try to know where my meat is coming from).
*Use the EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen produce guidelines to save money + reduce the pesticides and herbicides on your plate. 
*Avoid artificial colors and preservatives - Check your labels, grocery stores offer a variety of clean brands to help protect your family's gut microbiome --> More Guts More Glory I SAY!


Wrap it up with last week's family table action:





The broth was the leftovers from the previous week's Jamie's Chicken in Milk recipe = Best bone broth ever. I transferred everything from the crock pot into that white pot and kept it in my fridge until I was ready to make it last Monday. Here's what I did: I spooned off the fat from the top and reheated it. I then scooped out the discarded bones, skin, garlic cloves and cinnamon stick and dumped in the leftover pulled chicken, frozen peas and un-cooked noodles. In a small pan I also made a quick soffritto out of 1/4 of a celeriac diced (I ran out of celery so why not use the root?), 1 onion diced and some carrots diced + a little extra virgin olive oil, sea salt n pepper. Easy comfort food.




I have not made homemade pizza in a while and boy o boy did this one turn out. We are no longer a 100% gluten free household, but I still really enjoy cooking gluten free and it mixes up the grains in our life. Here is my recipe for a gluten free crust (that you would never believe is gluten free).

1 2/3 c (350g) of Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix (It's non-dairy too for you lovely vegans.)
1 tsp sea salt
-- Mix up in a stand mixer

1.5 cups hot tap water
2 Tbsp maple syrup
4 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil
--Mix up in a separate bowl or large measuring cup

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Start up your stand mixer on low and add the wet ingredients. Mix until dough is smooth. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread the dough out like frosting. Cover with a kitchen towel or saran wrap and rise in a warm location for 30 minutes (I use my fire place if it's cold outside). Pre-bake the naked dough for 8-10 minutes. Take out and spread your pizza sauce and cheese over the top. Bake again for 8-10 minutes. Lift out the pizza from the pan and it's super easy to cut on a board! (Recipe inspired by Kelli and Peter Bronski)




Abbie thought the puttanesca was "kinda good" (she likes linguini/spaghetti noodles better) so you know this recipe is a winner. 

Mac and Tommy were both gone when I sat down and I missed them before I had to leave for my pitching clinic. Busy busy busy... 

I realize looking back on the week that we did not have one dinner where everyone was present. It makes me sad + mad, but that's the reality of our busy family schedule. 

Every evening we sit down, we are are one day older, one day closer to high school, one day closer to college... closer to who knows... 

We sit down to slow down and get closer.

Setting the table for now.  
For me + you.
For us.
For ever.

Catch my grit. 


To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL


 ps

Congratulations to our Chili Cook off 2017 winners last night! What a night and thanks for rocking your crocks in our hot garage. We love you all!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....