1. Don't take themselves too seriously in the kitchen.
2. Keep balls as mascots on counters. His name is John y'all.
3. Cook like an athlete. Keep practicing, you'll get better n better baby.
Happy Super Bowl Sunday FUN DAY!!!!
Coconut Cream of Soffritto and Mushroom Soup
2 organic celery ribs diced
2 large organic carrots diced
1 yellow or red onion diced
1 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves black garlic (regular garlic is just fine too) minced
1 package antibiotic free bacon (bake at 375 degrees on a baking sheet over parchment paper for 20 minutes) place on a paper towel, let cool and rough chop (Totally optional - Make it meat free!)
8 oz package of cremini mushrooms sliced
2/3 cup white or balsamic vinegar (or white wine) - I eyeballed this...
1 can full fat organic coconut milk
1 can water
sea salt to taste (don't be shy - especially if you leave the bacon out)
freshly ground pepper
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
Cook the bacon. Drain most of the grease from the parchment paper into your small dutch oven/soup pot over medium/low heat. Add the diced celery, carrots and onion (soffritto). Season with sea salt, pepper and thyme. Cook low and slow, mixing everything up occasionally until the vege begins to caramelize. Add the minced garlic. Cook for another 10 minutes or so. Add the sliced mushrooms and season again with sea salt and pepper. Pour in the vinegar or wine. Cook low and slow, mixing everything up occasionally until mushrooms and completely cooked down and there is only a bit of liquid left. Pour in the can of coconut milk. Fill the empty can with water and add into the pot. Stir. Add the chopped bacon and frozen peas. Season to taste with sea salt. Option: You can also puree (with or without peas) before adding the bacon with an emersion blender; I would leave the bacon bits out and add them as a garnish.
Smashed in the Pan Potatoes
3lb bag of organic red potatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
Smoked garlic seal salt (or sea salt + garlic powder)
Wash the potatoes and add them to a large stock pot. Fill with water, add a good palmful of salt to the water and bring to a boil (Leave the lid lightly vented over the pot). Boil until the potatoes are soft when you pierce them with a fork or knife. Drain. After the above bacon has been cooked (and the grease drained into the soup pot to cook up the soffritto), smash the potatoes (with the back of your hand or with a meat mallet - Tommy's idea) until they are a 1/2 in thick or less into the parchment paper. Generously sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees for another 25 minutes or until they are nice and crispy on the top.
Tommy and I started our kitchen game night here:
(Yea yea, I know... I promise to put away my holiday plates soon...)
- Each #SettheTable2018 post features a delicious family table recipe to inspire your meal planning for the week. This year, I am kicking it off with Whole30 friendly recipes that will either be one of my own creations or a handy link to someone else's that has inspired me.
- #CatchmyGrit on Instagram to follow the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad) leading up to each weekend post. C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics, videos and Instastories to keep truckin!
- New to this series? Revisit my favorite #SettheTable2017 recipe links here. Cheers to another year of sharing my crazy food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer!
Tommy figured out that he liked the soup better when you dip your finger in the the ketchup first and then eat a spoonful of soup. I was equally horrified and proud of his food creativity. He still isn't a fan of potatoes ("They're too smooooooshy inside Mom.").
Tommy ate his entire bowl. I guess I just had to wait until he was eight.
What else can a rhyming baller[ina] ask for!?
Set, sit, sip, savor, and stay longer love bugs (say that as fast as you can lolololololol).
It all starts at hOMe plate.
To the Mullies we go...
My Top 11 #SettheTable2018 Topics:
- A Scientist Explores the Mysteries of the Gut Brain Connection
- Will the Gut-Brain Connection Revolutionize Wellness?
- Come to the table - Join Slow Food USA!
- Stay on top of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Campaign.
- Robyn O'Brien: Why Our Food Is Making Us Sick.
- Kimbal Musk Wants to Reengineer the American Stomach | Why Food is the New Internet.
- What is Organic Pasture Raised Chicken Good for?
- Shop with EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen" produce guidelines. Why? New research suggests pesticides/herbicides are linked to antibiotic resistance. Protect your gut microbiome + mycobiome.
- Avoid artificial colors and preservatives to keep your "second brain" happy + healthy.
- Why, When and How to Eat Wheat.
- Why do Some People do well as Vegans and Vegetarians (Clues from the Magical World of Genetics).