Monday, August 7, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 31




A Jamaica to Chicago Jerk Sauce

Many Thanks to you Chef Kennard for helping me make this first draft recipe local & authentic! I did a little recipe research as I was on my way to the airport yesterday (Basic ingredients passed down by Chef Kennard and I'm taking liberties with additional ingredients, amounts and cooking order - I am guessing on some things as he couldn't give give away all of his Jamaican secrets, per order of "The Colonel" - His boss I'm guessing?!). *Recipe updated from original post after I made it later that night - Picture story to come next Sunday Fun Day!

2-3 Onions diced
1 Bunch scallions diced
3-4 Tbsp Fresh thyme leaves
10 Celery ribs diced
6 Carrots diced 
6-7 Garlic cloves minced 
6 Tbsp Fresh grated ginger 
3 Tbsp's of ghee or grass fed butter 
A nice pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place this Jamaican soffritto in a large pot and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until it all begins to soften up.

Then add: 
2 Fresh pineapples cored and pureed in food processor
1.5 c Coconut sugar 

Turn up the heat and burn & caramelize!!! This took at least 30 minutes to reduce and brown.

Then add:
3/4 c Tomato paste 
1.5 c Apple cider vinegar
5 cups of water 
3-4 Tbsp Molasses
3 Tbsp Ground Allspice
2 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly ground nutmeg
Stir and bring to a boil. Lid and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Puree with an emersion blender or transfer to a high speed blender. I decided not to strain as I wanted this batch to have some chunk to it. Chef Kennard says, "If too bright add Browning sauce!! (Never, ever liquid smoke)"

Lastly, add some HEAT to your liking. I divided my batch to make one pot with heat and one without for the kids.
1-4+ Tbsp red pepper flakes, habanero peppers, or scotch bonnet peppers (dry, fresh or in sauce form).
I only used about 1.5 Tbsp of the Jamaican scotch bonnet sauce. Holy wows is it HOT and wonderful!


Lid and simmer a bit longer to let the flavors blend. Smother over grilled/pulled chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, slaw, and rice & beans! Thank you for the amazing food inspiration Jamaica - YEA MON!

***************************
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. I sign off every post with a handy reference list of my favorite foodie articles (some new, some repeated). 
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad). C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin! 
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
  • My go to's for meal planning organization (the grocery list app features are rad): 1. Jamie's Ultimate Recipes App 2. Sarah's My New Roots Recipe App 3. Rachael Ray's Week in a Day Cookbook.


Week 31's Game Plan:

Jamaican Jerk Cookout (which will parlay into more dinners + dishes throughout the week!)

I'm easing back into real life low and slow... More meal planning next week!



Wrap it UP with last week's action:



Our last family table on the Diamond before our Jamaican adventure! We're gonna miss you kids!






The Royal Palladian in Jamaica.





I do love to cook + sew!




SO happy we could Facetime the celebration home!








Our last breakfast in paradise yesterday was so lovely.


Grateful for Jamaica, for a growing family tree and for most especially...

some upcoming cooking adventures with jerk sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....