Friday, July 3, 2015

Happy 4th of July | Crab n Veggie Cakes


On this 4th of July eve, 52tries.com is closing it's doors at 26 weeks (read my final sign off post here) but our "52tries-ing" will never be over.

Meal planning and cooking for my family table you.don't.stop.

Tommy and I whipped up something special on this past meatless Monday. I asked him if he wanted to cook with me and this is what happened: Watch our fun with food here.



The roasting of the beets and carrots first was inspired by Terri. She told me how she did this with sweet potatoes for a burger recipe and I was so very inspired, I decided to try it out with some gumption on my crab cakes.

Crab n Veggie Cakes

3 organic golden beets
4 small organic carrots
Mince together in a food processor and roast in a thin layer at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. (Toss half way through roasting).

1 large organic lemon zested + 1/2 of it's juice
1/2 c gf bread crumbs (homemade from our bread butts)
2 T 21 spice blend
3 organic pasture raised eggs
1/2 c minced fresh garden herbs (parsley, basil & chives)
1 can lump crabmeat (sustainably wild caught)
1 can salmon (sustainably wild caught)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl with clean hands. Form small cakes with your hands as if you were making little hamburger patties. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown or fry in organic safflower oil (any oil with a high flashpoint) for 3-4 minutes on a side or until golden brown.

I served mine with a homemade yogurt-dijon dip and fresh organic spinach.

May some firecrackers go off with you + yours at the family table this weekend!

Happy Birthday America!


xoxoL




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....