Sunday, July 9, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 27


Taco Turkey Burgers
(with leftover vege to make omelettes the next morning)

Organic butter, ghee, coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
2 small organic fennel bulbs diced
1 organic onion diced
1 bunch baby leeks (or 1 large leek or 1 bunch scallions) - diced (used more white than green parts)
1 red pepper diced
1 orange pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
sea salt & pepper

1 organic, pasture raised egg
1 pound organic ground turkey
1 good pinche of sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp dried oregano

Good quality cheddar cheese (I used Kerrygold "Dubliner")
fresh greens
Buns (We're in love with our local Amish Organic Bread from Heaven)

In large pan, warm your fat of choice under med/low heat. Sauté a soffritto of diced fennel, onion, leeks and peppers for at least 30 minutes with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. You want all the vege super soft with the onions, leeks and fennel totally translucent, just barely caramelized. Transfer 1.5 cups of the vege to a shallow dish and cool off in the freezer for 10 minutes (this ensures that the ground turkey won't start to cook when you mix it all up). Transfer the rest of the vege to a container for the refrigerator (I am using this mixture this morning for omelettes!). Once cooled down, grab a large bowl and add the egg, ground turkey and all seasonings. Mix thoroughly and form into burger patties. It's messy, so I used my 1 in ice cream scoop to make my patties right on the hot cast iron pan! Genius! I vented my lid to ensure the patties were cooked through. Add sliced cheddar cheese on top and melt. Serve over fresh greens, or a bun with whatever your Taco-Tuesday-night-heart desires!





***************************
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. I sign off every post with a handy reference list of my favorite foodie articles (some new, some repeated). 
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad). C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin! 
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
  • My two go to's for meal planning organization (the grocery list app features are rad): 1. Jamie's Ultimate Recipes App 2. Sarah's My New Roots Recipe App 


Week 28's Game Plan:

I'm headed to Denver to visit my sister's family and experience Slow Food Nations! Looking forward to sharing what I do, see, hear, eat and drink! I can't WAIT - Here's a rough outline of my super slow food plan:

July 13 = Katie here I come!
July 14 = Colorado Made Block party
July 15 = Volunteer, Listen to Alice Waters, Global Spice Journey, Mile High Marriage of Beer and Cheese, James Beard Smart Catch Dinner
July 16 = Home again home again jiggity jig


Wrap it UP with last week's action:





It was a marvelous 4th of July on the Diamond!






Thank you Prairie Farm Corps for the absolutely fantastic farm to table lunch - This week's kitchen crew OUT DID themselves! I really enjoyed speaking to you all afterwards and I cannot WAIT to come back at the end of the month and cook with you!! #favoritefoodeducationplaceonearth 


I stopped by the Area General Store on the way home to see Rob and look who I found!?

A new balls-out kitchen mascot.

Tommy named him John and he sits on my island. He keeps it real.





This week's Prairie Wind Family Farm CSA was ridic!



Have you ever heard of #imomsohard? Well, laugh your freakin spanx off with them here. We "Mommed so hard" we forgot to pay attention to the time at Wood and walked in 30 minutes late to the show!!! HILARIOUS.

Sometimes, life gets too good to look at your clock. I think that's the magic of a good family table.


Almost every time Laura comes out to play, we "re-do" something. Or we craft... Or we just sit and drink coffee all day into our wine glasses. We're nuts. Really. I love the nuts in my life. Keeps everything greased and running well.

Yes, we bought the same shoes.


Oh my dear chimmie Laura... I have a whole new kitchen and house. I mean, who lives here? Where's all my Tchotch!?

We were like two Magda's this weekend... cleaning out, organizing, pairing down, painting, re-imagining. I'm gonna get to my attic and basement soon, I promise. I love you chimmie, we conquered the WORLD this weekend! Don't leave me! Thank heavens you only live in Indiana!


Don't blink, Summer's still here.

It all starts on home plate.
To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL




ps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....