Sunday, July 30, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 30



Cucumber season = Make your own pickle season! I am crazy about my Mom Brenda's refrigerator pickles. And this marble bowlTotally obsessed. The Juice? Drinkable. Thanks for passing down your epic recipe to the blog today Mom! 

Mom's Refrigerator Dill Pickles

5 cups water
2 Tbsp sea salt
3/4 c white vinegar
1 1/2 lbs cucumbers 
3 Tbsp garlic cloves (peeled)
4 Tbsp large dill sprigs
1 tsp black peppercorns

1. Put Vinegar, salt and water in a large pot. Heat to boil. Cool.
2. Wash and trim cucumbers.
3. Put cucumbers, garlic, dill and peppercorns in a bowl.
4. Add brine (cooled) and stir well.
5. Leave them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days until they are as sour as you like.
6. Place in jars with pieces of dill, garlic and peppercorns. Store in the refrigerator. 



***************************
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. I sign off every post with a handy reference list of my favorite foodie articles (some new, some repeated). 
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad). C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin! 
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
  • My go to's for meal planning organization (the grocery list app features are rad): 1. Jamie's Ultimate Recipes App 2. Sarah's My New Roots Recipe App 3. Rachael Ray's Week in a Day Cookbook.
Week 30's Game Plan:

I'll be in sunny Jamaica for a family wedding! I have never been to Jamaica or to a destination wedding before, so I am just thrilled to be traveling. Welcome to the family Diane! Looking forward to sharing our Jamaican eating adventures and a fantastic local Caribbean recipe for next week's blog! Cheers to THAT!



Wrap it UP with last week's action:

I did not follow my meal plan whatsoever this week. Sigh. I'll be trying Rachel's recipes again when I get back from vaca. Promise.
Thank you Summer for getting in my way. 


Nachos under salad and avocado? Yes please.


Best appetizer ever = Coconut macaroon (Whole Foods) + veganaise with sea salt, lemon zest and fresh chives + fresh crab + more chives.


My niece is the very best sous chef. Taking off the parley leaves was quite a job! Thanks girl!



Katie whipped up Alice Water's Sorrel Cream Sauce (The Art of Simple Food II) for the fresh Cod. It was pure heaven. I will be planting sorrel again next growing season for my kitchen garden!


One of the best plates I've ever put together.




I don't wanna have to say good bye! You are my heart of Tafiti Katie! Diamond Lake is for sisters!!!


And speaking of sisters... This lovely Lacey family crew (5 sisters!) stopped by for a stay on the lake before they head to their new home in San Diego this week. We had a huge family table of waffles to fuel our impromptu lake adventures yesterday (gosh darn I forgot to take a pic!). Lots of reminiscing... back to each other's wedding parties, babies, homes... Where has time gone!?  Looking forward to visiting you in California soon, to making more memories and to gathering together again at your new family table!


Cheers to jumping into gnarly, grand adventures and to lifelong friendships!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....