Sunday, July 23, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 29



French Toast Waffles
In the Netherlands, they are called "wentel teefjees."
Go back in time with me to this 2014 post for a slightly different Ambassador Smash version with my friend Terri!

8-10 Leftover Belgium waffles (You can find my waffle recipe in this recent post too)
8 organic, pasture raised eggs (I get mine when I can from Prairie Wind Family Farm or Radical Root Farm). Adjust amount of eggs according to how many waffles you have.
A pinch of sea salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 c organic rice milk
3 Tbsp half and half
organic ghee or butter or coconut oil for greasing the pan
Toppings: Fresh fruit, assorted jams, pure maple syrup.

In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and milks (Use whatever "milk" you want... It all turns out fine, and I usually never measure. The amounts above are my best guesstimate). Heat up a rectangular cast iron griddle or pan and add some butter/ghee/coconut oil to thinly grease pan. Dunk the waffle into the egg mixture, flip once to make sure there is enough egg mixture covering entire waffle. Let some egg mixture run off and quickly place on the hot pan. Flip after about 3 minutes or so or until each side is fully cooked and starting to brown. Add your favorite toppings! My nieces LOVED them, and it sure brought Terri back into my kitchen!

ps The 2014 version is just slightly different, made for a smaller breakfast table (you'll love the lemon zest!) and I adore making BOTH.



Terri sent me these pictures yesterday as I was cooking them up across continents from her. I love them so much, I just had to share them with you too. I think texting with her back and forth made my wentel teefjees taste better. I miss you so much my dear friend!






***************************
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. I sign off every post with a handy reference list of my favorite foodie articles (some new, some repeated). 
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad). C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin! 
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
  • My go to's for meal planning organization (the grocery list app features are rad): 1. Jamie's Ultimate Recipes App 2. Sarah's My New Roots Recipe App 3. NEW! Rachael Ray's Week in a Day Cookbook


Week 29's Game Plan:
This week, I am basically following the "1 Grocery Bag, 3 Meals" on pg 336 of Rachael's Week in a Day Cookbook. Below is what I could find similarly online, in case you don't have her cookbook (I highly recommend it for busy lives!). While on Maternity leave, I would watch the Food Network obsessively, making recipe notes after watching Rachael and others, not really "tuned in" to the difference between real & fake food, or how important cooking would someday be for my family table. It's so fun to be cooking with her again... a whole new Food Revolution decade later. 




Wrap it UP with last week's action:



The week started off with a double birthday bang! First, waffles with a side of legos...


Roller Coasters second.


Katie and my nieces arrived third the next day! Chocolate chip pancakes are right up there on our breakfast list!


Tacos + my Mom's stuffed peppers.


And a silly Sangiovese.


I had more helpers at the Prairie Wind Family Farms CSA pick up! The blueberries barely made it home:)


Eat the rainbow, under an umbrella, during a rainstorm, preferably with a local beer, with someone you love.


Port at my parents' family table! I enjoyed my Mom's dinner so much I forgot to snap a picture... Baked ziti, pesto zucchini zoodles, salad, garlic bread, wine... ahhhhhhhhh.



Another thunderstorm kicked us off the deck and my Mom whipped out her piles of Santa Maria Del Popolo yearbooks. My sister-in-law Vicki had my Mom as a Kindergarten teacher... and I was her 8th grade lunch helper... Such a crazy, cool small school world. My Dad started his record player and played the piano in the background. We danced a little too. 



Here was last night's cook out gorgeousness. Those mushrooms have truffle salt on them:) 

Sushi tonight... and Monday our plan is to get some fresh Cod and make Alice Water's "Sorrel Cream Sauce" to ladle on top. My kitchen garden is bursting with this citrusy, awesome green!

It all starts at home plate.

To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL




ps



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....