Sunday, July 16, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 28



I Lime You Very Much Frittata

1/2 cup sauteed vege (I used my taco turkey burger leftovers!)
4 organic, pasture raised eggs
2 Tbsp organic half and half or heavy cream (use coconut/cashew/almond to make it dairy free)
zest from one lime
freshly grated cheddar cheese (eyeball as much as you want)
sea salt & pepper
2 big handfuls of Organic Beet greens (leaves only, roughly chopped) - Prairie Wind Family Farms
Lime juice
Beet Hummus
Freshly picked sorrel and basil from my kitchen garden

In a medium bowl, whisk together the vege, eggs, milk, zest, cheddar, and a pinch of salt n pepper. Grab two sauté pans. In one, heat over med/low and add chopped greens with a splash of water - Lid and mix up the greens after a few minutes. Keep lidding and mixing until greens are evenly wilted, without losing any vibrant color. Remove from heat and squeeze the lime juice over the greens and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside. In the second (oven safe) pan, add the omelette mixture. Using a small rubber spatula, scrape the bottom occasionally to let the uncooked eggs get to the heat (about 3-5 min). Place pan in the broiler for 5 minutes or until top is cooked and just beginning to brown. Remove and cut into quarters. Have fun plating your frittata any way you want! I sliced up cucumbers and picked some fresh basil and citrusy sorrel to show off how much I "lime" having my chimmie in town!



***************************
  • Each #SettheTable2017 post begins with a featured recipe(s) + upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture diary of last week's chaos. I sign off every post with a handy reference list of my favorite foodie articles (some new, some repeated). 
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad). C'est la vie, I selfy-ishly light it UP in pics and videos to keep truckin! 
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
  • My two go to's for meal planning organization (the grocery list app features are rad): 1. Jamie's Ultimate Recipes App 2. Sarah's My New Roots Recipe App 


Week 28's Game Plan:

My sister Katie and family is coming into town this week!


  • Cookout
  • Tacos of some sort
  • Sushi
  • Weekend Waffles
  • Katie's Miso Glazed Salmon
  • Pizza


Wrap it UP with last week's action:


I used the rest of the taco turkey burger leftovers for taco night! This recipe just keeps on giving...



Then next morning I headed off to Denver for my first Slow Food Nations!





I love my Denver family! My sister's pasta carbonara really hit the spot!


A Slow Food Canadian reunion! It was so WONDERFUL to see my friends from the Eating Heritage Slow Food Canadian Summit - We are a North American Slow Food FORCE!


Suns out guns out on the Red Rocks trail!


My favorite highlights from the Colorado Made Block party!











Now that's a stick of cinnamon!


A spice tasting finale!







Slow Food Nations serendipity! I just happened to sit next to Jodie (pictured next to me), who was a Denver area recipient of the Chef Ann Foundation Project Produce Grant. CRAZY! Of all the people in class, we sat next to each other!!!! So we walked from our seminar together talking about school food all the way to Larimer Square to meet up with the Chef Ann team!

IT WAS THE VERY BEST DAY!




And who was on stage cooking for kids? Jack Johnson with Chefs Jen Jasinski, Ed Kenney and Michel Nischan. They formed two teams and the kids were the judges. It was a hoot to watch and here are the recipes Jack gave to the crowd. It was so inspiring to watch these friends gather from the music and food scenes to change the world through food education.





Katie and I had the most wonderful time at Bistro Vendome - Thank you for very special James Beard Smart Catch dinner experience we will never forget!




Let's talk about sustainable fishing!







BRAVO! I had such a wonderful time celebrating and that's a Slow Food Nations wrap for me! I look forward to the next Slow Food Nations in two years... Terra Madre is up next and who knows, maybe I could find my way to Italy someday... this girl can dream!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....