Sunday, March 19, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 11


Welcome back + Happy Sunday Fun Day! 
  • Each Sunday #SettheTable2017 begins with the upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture recap of last week's chaos. Warning: Selfie videos and picture shenanigans keep me cooking and laughing... C'est la vie, I'm selfy-ishly lighting it up.
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad).
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.

Up this Week:

Introducing a new chef, blogger, cookbook author today into the mix! Meet Sarah Britton - I love her from head to toe. Her new cookbook (which my Dad bought first!), Naturally Nourished, is all about me and you: Busy people who need easy, clean recipes whose cooking methods/ingredients also "rollover" into other weeknight meals. I adore her first cookbook, My New Roots and Sarah also has a Healthy Vegetarian Recipe App that I have started to use (literally, I downloaded it an hour ago). I'm pretty jazzed to bring some of her meals into the mix and get my family eating more vege... Well, at least I'll be eating more vege...

This week, I have "rolled over" a few of last week's meals into this week. It's a new habit that is saving me time and money, not to mention getting me sanely to my kids sporting events... and myself to pitching lessons.

*Note: The first underlined/linked recipe name corresponds to one of two chefs:
1. Jamie Oliver online recipe or to his Ultimate Recipes App (J)
2. Sarah Britton - My New Roots Blog or to her RecipeApp (S)
Both of their apps help me to stay organized (their grocery list features are rad); However, IF I am unable to find a recipe/cooking technique online, I have linked to a similar recipe for those not using the apps.




*Here is a handy conversion link for any of J's online euro measurements (both apps use USA measurements).
*Read up on how to cook with oils.
*If possible, buy antibiotic free meat (Here's why I try to know where my meat is coming from).
*Use the EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen produce guidelines to save money + reduce the pesticides and herbicides (harmful to your gut microbiome + mycobiome) on your plate. 
*Avoid artificial colors and preservatives - Check your labels, grocery stores offer a variety of clean brands for all --> MoreGutsMoreGlory I SAY! 

Wrap it UP with last week's family table action:





I clearly am not following recipes to the "T" here. This looks nothing like the Singapore noodles I meal planned. I usually don't set out to do that. Cooking decisions are often a whim, feeling out what I want to do, letting "gumption" take hold, assessing what my eaters will be open to.


This dish is another perfect example of my evolving cooking style. This was supposed to be Mexican Inspired Tomato soup. And I felt like doing something different. Recipes inspiring recipes...



Taco Tuesday was also "Pi Day" and so of course, I made a "Taco-Pi" (which is really just Mexican lasagna in a pie dish...)

Taco-Pi

1 onion diced
2-3 carrots diced
2-3 celery ribs diced
16 oz jarred roasted red peppers diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup basmati rice
2 x 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb grassfed organic ground beef
sea salt & pepper to taste
1/2-1 Tbsp each of chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano
1-2 tsp each of tumeric, curry (optional)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
corn tortillas
8 oz shredded cheese 

Start a kettle of water on boil (about 3.5 cups). Sauté a soffritto of onion, carrots, celery, red peppers and garlic low and slow for 20 minutes or so. Add the rice (I might add the rice later next time). Make a well (push the vege to the sides) and place the meat in the middle of the pan, breaking up until cooked through. Add the taco seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add the diced tomatoes and pour in the boiling water. Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is el-dente tender (still has a little bite to it). If too much liquid remaining, remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate for a bit too.

Using a pie dish, begin layering tortillas, cheese and taco meat until you reach the top and finish off with cheese. I cut the tortillas into strips and even made a fun criss cross, woven pie top... but then forgot to take a picture and I covered it all up in cheese. Doh!

I have to say, the leftovers (much like lasagna) were ridiculously good.



Leftovers for lunch sans ramen noodles. I found these spirulina "nut" ovals at TjMax... I really like them (nobody else will touch them). I spread a layer of sun dried tomato garlic cheese and then topped with the browning avocado + cilantro leftovers. Gawd it was so good.



St. Patrick's Day Dinner... Definitely not traditional... but I did make mashed potatoes (spiked with parmesan shavings, rice milk, salt and pepper)! The Sticky Chicken with Sweet Tomatoes and beans is one of MY favorite tray bakes. The kids still steer clear of the beans and tomatoes, however love these green beans I make (I can still remember when they would whiiiiiiiiiine about green beans...). 

Melt: 3 Tbsp butter + 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil + zest from half a lemon + pinch of salt and pepper + 1/2 Tbsp Italian herb seasoning. Combine and melt it all in a small saucepan and pour over the cooked beans. It's the Balls.


To the mullies we go...
xoxoL




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....